Saturday, January 25, 2014

Cesar Milan would be proud of us!

Charlie and I have had a great day together.
Not to say today's been perfect or that I've been nice to humans all day, but Charlie and I have been in sync!

I woke up late and on the wrong side of the bed, but Charlie was there, licking my neck so I would get up and take him out. Poor baby held it! I'm proud of him. He really had to go! I wouldn't have blamed him for having an accident.

We watched the dog whisperer and call the midwife. He was fascinated by the dog sounds and baby cries. I read that he needs to be exposed to a variety of sounds every day, so I thought the baby cries would be a good touch. Since I can't have them and don't have close associations to any small babies, I figured it was the next best solution. I was pleasantly surprised that when the baby cried on tv, he alerted me in the direction of the tv, and wouldn't stop pointing until I said "good alert! It's ok.", and then he laid down with his ears back like "ok, I'll trust you, but that kid isn't ok."

We took a good long nap, and then my husband called to remind me to get dressed for the day. Charlie helped me in the bath, keeping me company and kissing my knee. When I was done, he got my towel and socks. We're still having a bit of difficulty understanding "get it!" applies to more than socks, hankies and leash. I refuse to give up though, and Charlie eventually did get it. I just have to remind myself he's only ten months old, and he's having to learn stuff normal dogs don't do. I can't be frustrated or in a hurry if I'm going to select some task as a learning moment. When I give an order I have to be consistent and follow through until Charlie gets the idea and a victory. It's like when we practice at curbs. I can't put weight on him for another year or so, but he has to learn to pause, line up his feet and wait for me to get down the curb before he can keep walking like he assumes he is supposed to. I can't just breeze by in the morning and if I'm running late, he still has to get it right before we can go. Doesn't matter that I have my cane and can do it without him - he's going to replace it and be with me through everything, so he has to learn. Anyway... I got off on a tangent there. Sorry. Back to today;

Husband took him to the dog park while I visited my parents home for an hour, and he had a blast with "daddy". Apparently all the bad owners took their dogs home, and Charlie's friends, the boxer, Great Pyrenees, and pit bull (his human is the afghan hound owner's dad) were all there, and he met a new friend named "hoss" - a Great Dane that was twice as tall as Charlie. Husband said he didn't pull the lead, and walked beside him before and after the park (great progress for them as a twosome!) and played like he should with all his buddies, no dominating or being dominated.

After that we had dinner and played board games at our friends "A & W"'s house. They have an elderly cat, and I was a bit afraid we had made Charlie's day a bit too full, but he was completely chill, followed orders, peed outside the front and back doors, and we finally got to practice "under, down, stay" at a real dinner table! Usually we practice that at Starbucks outside, and only for about 15 minutes. He got up twice, but obeyed when corrected. He didn't put attention on our food, which I was extremely proud of him for because it was meatloaf and had a very drool worthy smell. It was his first time at their home, and I was really proud of his behavior.

We're all tuckered out, but happy.


I'm a bit afraid to try one of my pain meds.... The cute pitty in yesterday's post? Her owner took the medication as prescribed to her and she had a bad reaction, so I want to make sure to only take it when I know husband will be nearby if I react badly like my friend did. I am back on my proper name brand regular daily med, and a new daily pain medication. I'm all curled up with my heating pad for my foot. The swelling is finally going down, so I feel as though I'm on the mend to being my normal crazy self! Yay!

Okay, I'm off to Pinterest to look up cool birthday ideas. My little hobbit (he eats 4 to 5 times a day!) turns 1 in March! Catch you later!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment