Saturday, February 1, 2014

The question of the day!


Charlie hasn't excercised enough this week. He's been completely uninterested and unwilling to "play" his tasks he's learning. When husband finally got home from work today, I set out to get Charlie into the car. We were interrupted by a neighbor, and Charlie was very hard to handle. Sometimes when I'm writing about him I feel like I'm making excuses or something, but he is still very much a puppy. There is potential, and he has the brute strength I'll need from him, but his size makes people think "wow. He needs training! How can that gimpy girl control such a big dog?"

When Charlie has had excercise and enough time to be a full on dog, he is such a pleasure to work with! And honestly, he's not a machine. We all have off days. I'm so tired, and so very sore from the snow ordeal this week, that I could have easily snapped and popped him on his butt, but that would only instill fear and lack of trust. I don't care if I have to repeat a command hundreds of times. I'm not going to spank unless Charlie is putting himself in danger, or attempting to bite (which he hasn't done just for the record). I'm just saying I don't spank. He's stubborn, but smart dogs have that streak in them. It's like dealing with a toddler, you just have to be consistent, kind and more stubborn than the child! Lol

So my neighbor's question was repeated at the dog park: "wow! Your dog sure is getting big. I see he's not listening very well. Is he a help at all yet, or are you taking him back to where you got him?"

My brain launched into a tirade: No. Charlie majors belongs with me. Period.

He has been a huge help to me! And he's only a PUPPY. I realize we can be quite a scene to watch when I'm tired and he's wired, but we belong together. Everybody has off days...even my dog. And that is normal. I'm throwing a LOT his way, and he keeps rolling with the punches. I've only had him a little over a month. In that time he's learned to obey 4 people and live peacefully with 5 cats he wants to hug and kiss and play with. He's learned "side" and "heel", he can get, give, drop what I ask him to (we're working on consistency), and he lines up at curbs and steps and waits for me until I'm down the step. He walks with a slack leash almost all the time, and he has only had accidents at our friends' house and once here at home (in fairness to him, we didn't listen when he alerted and he lost control, it's not like her actively sought a place to do it). He gets in and out of the car on command and is learning to nudge doors open.

So, my answer was and is "today we're both worn thin. He's coming along nicely, and has been a great help. I hope you have a good day!"

Love to you, my people!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, Charlie is 'ours'. Pets are not disposable. (training a puppy is not like microwaving.........it is not done instantaneously.) Neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like water off a duck's back. He's being a puppy.
    Remember PHALT. Potty? Hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired?

    Today he was lonely. He needed his people to play. You understand his needs and that's why you are his person.

    ReplyDelete