Tuesday, May 13, 2014

An awful weekend.

Hi there.

How was your weekend?

Mine sucked. Let's start with a little bit of back story:
I've been having trouble with dizzieness, nausea and fainting over the past month. I've been sent home from work several times, and have had a heart monitor on - but my heart checks out ok.

I hate Mothers' Day weekend. The radio, tv, all social media keep going on and on about it. I don't attend church on Mothers' Day because I've been sidelined by phrases like: "Happy Mothers Day to a future mom!" and "Your day will come, honey! Just pray harder!". I hate sitting in the pew, and the pastoral staff having all the 1st time mothers, then veteran mothers, then grandmothers with the most offspring all stand and be given flowers, as if it's a pagent. I hate it.
I've pretty much come to grips with the truth that I won't be a mom. It is one of my dearest wishes to be one, but it's not genetically wise, and also I have infertility - so I'm not fighting it anymore. Still, it hurts the worst on Mothers' Day. So I avoided church, and Charlie and I were at our friends A&W's townhome just chilling and watching HGTV and the Food Network all day.

It got to be about 4pm, so I left their place and we got on the highway to go home. When we got to the exit before ours, my hands were completely numb, and I just had a nausea sweep over me. I pulled over at the local Starbucks and tried to refresh myself, thinking I was just feeling faint again. When I felt a little better, and my hands were only tingly, I decided it would be smart to stop by my parents' house and cool off.

As soon as I turned into their driveway (only about a mile from the last stop), I didn't have the strength to put the car in park. I nudged it into neutral, and tried to use my cell phone to call my mom. My hands were so numb and shaky that I dropped the phone on the pavement and it broke open. I tried to get out of the car, and ended up easing onto the pavement to rest, with my feet still in the car. Charlie was clawing at the back door, knowing he is supposed to stay in his seat until told otherwise. My vision went fuzzy around the edges, so I called him to me, and he lept like Rin TinTin through the seats (giving himself a rugburn mark from the seatbelt), and landing like a cat over me, without injuring me. He started licking anything he could reach, and whining. When he came through, my foot his the horn. "Ok.", my tired brain said, "Hit it as much as you can and see if someone gets mad enough to find you."

"Charlie. Get help.", I rasped. He left me, and I could hear him clawing at the back door. My vision really did go out, and my hearing was not normal. I kept trying to hit the horn as much as I could. I was scared that Charlie wouldn't come back to me, but I knew there wasn't anything I could do about it if he didn't. Not a soul seemed to hear us. Charlie came running back to me, and nibbled my ear. My head was swimmy, but I rolled over to him, and he tugged my pants and got my foot on the ground. I put my arm through the loop on his Service Dog In Training vest, instead of holding it like a handle, and he half led, half dragged me to the front door. I know he was as scared as I was, because I could see his big eyes, and he was acting like a completely focused animal, not at all like his goofy self.

Apparently he was able to make enough commotion at the front door, and as soon as the door came open I fell into my parents' arms. The next thing I solidly remember is complaining that my arm hurt, and the nurse telling me that my vein blew in my arm and the iv wasn't working. Apparently I fought through the entire thing to stay awake, and had given myself a fit of hysterics, making the situation worse. The ER doctor wrote in my medical file that I was there for dehydration and depression. Have you ever heard of someone having trouble with fainting because of depression??? I haven't!

If it wasn't for my parents, my good friend Alberta and a bit of help from my husband, I don't know what would have happened to me. I don't remember the ambulance, and I don't really remember being at the ER for 5 hours. It seemed like maybe an hour to me, because I kept coming in and out of it.

I guess it's time to get a medical ID bracelet after all. God knows if this happens away from my family, I would be in a real spot of trouble!!!

I was so proud of Charlie. I can hardly believe a pound puppy can do such an amazing thing, to fight for his human's safety. When I came home, I was completely exhausted, but we have a picture on my dad's camera of Charlie sitting next to me, leaning in and grinning from ear to ear.


I tell Charlie all the time that the people who gave him to the pound were so stupid to give him up. He is an amazingly sweet boy, and so funny. I feel like I might still be in the driveway at my parents' house if Charlie hadn't insisted on dragging me with him. Every time I fell and hit the pavement, he would lick me, and gently tug forward, like "C'mon! Only a few more steps!" I don't know why he loves me, but I'm really REALLY thankful that we have such a bond now. I totally trust him to help me get through my day, and he still has so much more to learn before he's an official service dog.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures with this, and it's so long of an update. My doctor has seen me, and is ordering a Tilt Table test, so check for dysautonomia/POTS. Until later, I remain your Beth.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry your weekend sucked! But WTG! Charlie! He knows he's got a very important job. I can only hope Splash would come through for me like that if I ever needed him to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO PROUD OF CHARLIE!
    have you thought about getting a Road ID for a medical bracelet? http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
    A friend who has a complicated body and is on several medications uses it. It's a great way for the medical professionals to have all the pertinent info should you not be able to communicate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Janet and Janelle! <3
    Janelle, I've never heard of roadid! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete