Monday, March 3, 2014

The fight for "Control" and "Normal"

I'm paying for the long weekend excursion of the Birthday party.

It's not pretty.

For the first time ever I've given in to the pain and I'm wearing my bulky white "LOOK AT ME!!!!" cervical collar at work. Learning to honor my body's limitations is a biotch. I constantly juggle pride, pain, need and wants all in the effort to achieve "Control" and "Normal". I read an awesome article that related chronic illness and embarrassment and it sums it up in a very healthy way. (http://chroniccurve.tumblr.com/post/15070372449/embarrassment-and-chronic-illness)

I came in to work, pulled up in the parking lot and all I could remember was the fight I had with myself the first time I used my cane in the work place:

Brain: "Everyone's going to stare at you."
Beth: "They won't stare for more than a moment in shock."
Brain: "They're going to want to know what happened. If you were in an accident. They're going to be nosy and you'll have to answer them all."
Beth: "They're going to be curious and worried for me. They're not going to be nosy. I'll just have to tell them.
Brain: "You know it's not fair that you have to advocate everywhere you go. Just keep the cane in the car. You only wobble a bit, the pain is nothing. You've hidden pain before. You haven't fallen this week. You can just keep it in the car."
Beth: "Bite me. I'm going in."


When I got inside, of course I clocked in as fast as I could, used the least used hallways, ducked into bathrooms when I heard footfalls and finally arrived at my cubicle. I was able to get by without a single comment for all of 30 minutes.

People are naturally curious. It's not a sin or a shortcoming. It's a gift. It helps us check into the softer side of our nature with compassion or to analyze problems. Sometimes curiosity leads to great discoveries.

It's hard to choke back pride and the desire for self resiliance when your body is failing you though. It's hard to push on with bravado when you don't want anyone to pry. The first encounter with someone commenting on my cane was a trusted friend at work and he saw me walking from up ahead of him. "I don't like that, Ms. Beth!" he called out. I answered as cockily as I could with a wink: "Nobody asked you. I love the butterfly design." (He only meant he didn't like that my illness was affecting me so much.)

I'm constantly facing the truth that I can't really fight for "Normal" and "Control". It will burn me faster than jumping into a bonfire. I battled the choice to get a service dog for so long I've driven everyone I know to the brink of their ability to be patient with my waffling back and forth! And then it was: "Do I go with this agency? Do you think we can go without one? Can we afford a dog? Will work allow it, or will they find a way to phase out my job posistion (like what happened to a dear friend)?"

Every single day is full of choices. Sometimes I get so freaking sick of all the 50/50 of my life. Today's choice was unbearable pain in my neck, or open myself up to comments and concern but be in less pain. I chose less pain.

I'm the farthest thing from a role model, but Spoonies, PLEASE choose in favor of honoring your health - be it mental or physical. Otherwise your body/mind will beat you to a pulp. I promise the comments and concern sting less than the flames of a bonfire that will burn around you if you chase "Normal" or being in "Control".

2 comments:

  1. Great advice! Love your posts! You're an inspiration to me and I'm sure so many others!

    ReplyDelete