Sunday, June 8, 2014

I wish I had a photo of him in action today!



Charlie is a God send. Husband is working, and I really wanted a hot dog, so I thought "let's do it. Grocery store, here we come!"

All places of business have a right to ask us to leave until he is fully trained. I was prepared to leave if asked. Charlie did awesome. Obeyed all vocal commands and hand signals. He really wanted to sniff the honeydew melons for some strange reason. I told him no, he kept looking at it, I said to leave it and he looked at me, quickly back at it with tucked tail, then looked away for good. Bravo.

At the check out, my friend Gary helped us. He was so excited to meet Charlie. I could tell he wanted to pet him. That's the hardest part. Charlie is so friendly and warm that I always feel a pull to say "ok, just this once.", but I know he already gets SO much attention. It's just me having a hard time being selfish with him. I know it's critical to our working relationship that he believe I'm the only one worth any attention though. So I let Charlie get my money pouch for me, and then after I paid, he carried it out the store. It made Gary smile.

Then when we got back home, Charlie carried the grocery bag in for me. It's a little worse for wear, because I've never asked him to even try that, but it's hot dogs and frozen buns. He can't really hurt it. He was proud of himself. You could see it beaming out of him! 


It's days like this, where I've been so worn out and listless that he gives me such drive and uuumph! He wants so much to be a good dog, and hear "Good Charlie!" And "I love you! You're MY dog!", that he's willing to try almost anything.

 I wish you could have seen him walking with me behind the buggy. And sitting on my feet while I picked out a peach. The way the little toddler squealed "that lady has a oggy!" And the dad said "he's helping her shop!" In such a chirpy tone. No more sad glances tossed my way. No more random strangers asking if I need help, or "what happened? Were you in a car wreck? Your leg is all bruised up!"

 It was me and Charlie. Me with a skirt and lip gloss (cane and bruises), Charlie with his harness and painted toes, shiny coat and eager eyes. Selecting fruit as if it was just an ordinary day.

I wonder if I'll ever lose the wonder of us working together as a team...I hope not! 

4 comments:

  1. OH, I am beaming with so much joy that if I had buttons on, they would be bursting. :) (Nina may have to go get Charlie his own honey dew.) I have watermelon we can share. :)

    Having Charlie help bring in your bag is such a HUGE step! I hope he got at least a bite of the hot dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! I am soooooooooooooo proud! If you only knew!!

    ReplyDelete